Friday, June 27, 2008

Why is it when you gripe at your husband for being late he's actually doing something nice for you!?!


My husband owns/manages his own company. He does heating and air conditioning. During the summer, work days can be long and unpredictable.

My husband is also a social butterfly. He likes to know what's going on, when, where, and with whom. He sometimes gets distracted by his "quest for knowledge", which irritates me, because I am stuck at home in the "office" doing the job of ten people AND taking care of the kids, and the kids friends, and the house, and the dog, the cat, three fish, a frog, and on any given day up to three toads. Grrrrrrr. (I have my own business to run, too, but that's another story.)

Sometimes, on a particularly stressful day, I get really bitchy. Since many of my husbands customers would be considered the "upper echelon" of society, I cannot simply call him up and complain. It does not look good to have your wife griping at you on the phone in front of the president and CEO of a billion dollar company, for instance. On a really bad day, that doesn't keep me from trying.

Yesterday was one of those days.

Yesterday my husband was working with the owner of a multi-million dollar development in a town called Southlake. His family owns several apartment complexes for which my husband does all the service, repairs, and replacements. It's a bit of a drive from our location to Southlake, and my husband likes to drive our Avalanche (which is a beautiful truck) when working with these people, as opposed to the big white service truck. The Avalanche gets 10 miles to the gallon.

I gripe about that, not only because of the gas, but because it gives him the option to "seek knowledge", if you get my drift. I never get mad when he gets in late in the service truck, because I KNOW he is working if he is driving it. That's not always the case if he is in the Avalanche.

Last night he got in late, in the Avalanche. I had been periodically calling for four hours. I was tired, annoyed, had a headache, and was certain he was out goofing off while I was home being miserable. Boy was I in for a surprise.

My 40th birthday is next month. He already started the gift-giving. The first gift was last Tuesday; front row seats at the Boston/Styx concert. It was awesome. I'll blog about that later.
The second came last night.

I love antiques. My husband has found me some beautiful things through the years. He also knows I have a real love of antique steamer trunks. While I was griping, he was out getting me this.......

It's a turn-of -the-century victorian steamer truck, professionally restored. I love my husband.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen, sister!