Friday, January 18, 2008

What the HELL is non-hispanic?!

Okay, somebody somewhere besides me has got to wonder why the hell the designation "non-hispanic" was created to describe every race except, well, "hispanics.". Google "non-hispanic." You will see studies of "non-hispanic whites", "non-hispanic blacks", "non-hispanic american indians"...WHAT THE HELL?! Have the "hispanics" so invaded every race that each race must now have the designation of "non" attached if they have no "hispanic" ancestry? I don't call myself a "non-asian white", even though, as far as I know, I have no asian ancestors.

Can you imagine creating a job application that encompassed everyone?

Check one of the following;
non-hispanic white
non-hispanic black
non-hispanic american indian
non-hispanic asian
non-hispanic european.....
non-asian hispanic
non-asian white
non-asian black
non-asian american indian
non-asian european
non-white american indian
non-white black
non-white asian........skipping to page 35.....
non-hispanic non-black non-american indian non-asian european
non-hispanic non-black non-american indian non-european asian
non-............. you get the idea.

OR, even better, here is mine;
non-hispanic non-black non-asian european (scottish, english, irish) american indian (blackfoot, seminole, chiricahua apache, cherokee and honorary comanche.)
I am insulted that there is no designation specifically for me!

In light of the above, calling myself non-hispanic makes as much sense as saying I am "non-male." I am also non-rock, non-piece of furniture, non-cloud, and non-liberal, among innumerable other "nons." The last I knew, you were defined by who or what you were more than by who or what you were not.

Many people define themselves and others by color. My best friend of *muffled number* years and I discussed this moments ago, and we agreed that you cannot truly define someone by a "color". Take 500 "black" people, and you will not find two with the exact same color of skin....none if them will truly be "black." Take 500 "white people", and you will have 500 different colors of skin, none of which is truly "white." Same with red, yellow, or any other color ever used to describe someones skin color.

My natural, non-sun exposed skin is considered "olive." Let me get in the evil sun for more than two hours, and I become a beautiful golden brown. (Oh it's really pretty, thanks to my american indian ancestors!) Give me a few hours a day for a week, and I resemble a raisin in color, sans wrinkles. (Okay, I have a few, but they're really small and you have to look close, so they don't count!)

The term "Hispanic" was coined by the federal government in the 1970's to describe people who were born in any of the Spanish-speaking countries of the Americas or those who could trace their ancestry to Spain or former Spanish territories. I am certainly non-hispanic by that definition of hispanic. Once upon a time I would have said I was "caucasian"......but that was the "name" given by some man named Blumenbach to describe the races that lived near Mount Caucasus, and basically encompassed the chief races of europe (where I've never been), North Africa (does that mean I can say I'm african?) and southwest asia (damn...there goes my non-asian identity!) Don't that beat all? Some invisible all knowing source knows what I am better than I do! Perhaps that leaves my best description as non-hispanic. Dammit.

From an actual job application:

Check one of the following:

Hispanic or Latino A person of Mexican, Puerto Rican, Cuban, Central or South American, or
other Spanish culture or origin, regardless of race.
White (Not Hispanic or Latino). A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, the Middle East, or North America. *my entry-middle east? Wth?*
African American or Black (Not Hispanic or Latino). A person with origins in any of the Black racial groups of Africa.
Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander (Not Hispanic or Latino). A person with origins in the any of the people of Hawaii, Guam, Samoa, or other Pacific Islands..
Asian (Not Hispanic or Latino). A person with origins in any of the original peoples of the Far East, Southeast Asia, or the Indian Subcontinent. This includes, for example, China, Japan,
Korea, the Philippines, Cambodia, Malaysia, Pakistan, Thailand and Vietnam.
American Indian/Alaskan Native (Not Hispanic or Latino). A person with origins in any of the original peoples of North and South America (including Central America), and who maintains cultural identification through tribal affiliation or community recognition.
Two or More Races (Not Hispanic or Latino). All persons who identify with more than one of the above five races.

Notice the (Not Hispanic or Latino) beside everything except Hispanic or Latino? WHAT THE HELL? TAKE it out, take IT out, take it OUT! Put in a blank line to write in a specific race or races if someone wants to write it in! Seriously though, how the hell are people supposed to define themselves any more? I don't have the space, time or energy to attack everywhere that "non-hispanic" appears, so I will finish with this. I don't believe how liberal, how "inclusive", how humanist, centrist, etc this is going to sound from a highly conservative right-winger. If race is not an issue, at least when it comes to hiring people, then if only for the sake of shortening an application, why not this:

Check one of the following:

Non-human
Human

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

[u][b]Xrumer[/b][/u]

[b]Xrumer SEO Professionals

As Xrumer experts, we secure been using [url=http://www.xrumer-seo.com]Xrumer[/url] for the benefit of a large fix conditions and know how to harness the massive power of Xrumer and turn it into a Banknotes machine.

We also yield the cheapest prices on the market. Numberless competitors will charge 2x or square 3x and a destiny of the time 5x what we responsibility you. But we maintain in providing prominent accommodation at a debilitated affordable rate. The entire direct attention to of purchasing Xrumer blasts is because it is a cheaper substitute to buying Xrumer. So we train to keep that bit in recollection and outfit you with the cheapest standing possible.

Not simply do we have the best prices but our turnaround occasion for the treatment of your Xrumer posting is wonderful fast. We compel have your posting done before you know it.

We also produce you with a sated log of affluent posts on different forums. So that you can get the idea seeking yourself the power of Xrumer and how we have harnessed it to help your site.[/b]


[b]Search Engine Optimization

Using Xrumer you can wish to realize thousands upon thousands of backlinks for your site. Scads of the forums that your Location you will be posted on get acute PageRank. Having your join on these sites can really help build up some top-grade grade help links and as a matter of fact aid your Alexa Rating and Google PageRank rating via the roof.

This is making your instal more and more popular. And with this increase in celebrity as well as PageRank you can think to appreciate your place definitely filthy high in those Search Locomotive Results.
Traffic

The amount of transportation that can be obtained before harnessing the power of Xrumer is enormous. You are publishing your plat to tens of thousands of forums. With our higher packages you may regular be publishing your locale to HUNDREDS of THOUSANDS of forums. Visualize 1 mail on a popular forum drive usually get 1000 or so views, with announce ' 100 of those people visiting your site. Modern imagine tens of thousands of posts on in demand forums all getting 1000 views each. Your see trade longing function through the roof.

These are all targeted visitors that are interested or singular in the matter of your site. Assume how innumerable sales or leads you can achieve with this considerable gang of targeted visitors. You are literally stumbling upon a goldmine bright to be picked and profited from.

Retain, Above is Money.
[/b]

TRAVERSE B RECOVER YOUR INFERIOR BURST TODAY:


http://www.xrumer-seo.com

Anonymous said...

[B]NZBsRus.com[/B]
Dismiss Slow Downloads With NZB Files You Can Hastily Find Movies, PC Games, MP3 Albums, Applications & Download Them @ Alarming Speeds

[URL=http://www.nzbsrus.com][B]Newsgroup Search[/B][/URL]

Anonymous said...

Guter Beitrag, nur Absatz zwei muss ich widersprechen!

Anonymous said...

Predilection casinos? be attractive to to this advanced [url=http://www.realcazinoz.com]casino[/url] channel tunnel and wing it naval disrate online casino games like slots, blackjack, roulette, baccarat and more at www.realcazinoz.com .
you can also discontinuation our lately [url=http://freecasinogames2010.webs.com]casino[/url] market at http://freecasinogames2010.webs.com and overwhelmed factual means !
another in favouritism [url=http://www.ttittancasino.com]casino spiele[/url] knot is www.ttittancasino.com , in compensation german gamblers, be quench out cold to blow the gaff b vamoose unstinting online casino bonus.

Anonymous said...

You could easily be making money online in the hush-hush world of [URL=http://www.www.blackhatmoneymaker.com]blackhat seo world[/URL], Don’t feel silly if you have no clue about blackhat marketing. Blackhat marketing uses little-known or not-so-known avenues to generate an income online.

Anonymous said...

I love grits-n-eggs.blogspot.com! Here I always find a lot of helpful information for myself. Thanks you for your work.
Webmaster of http://loveepicentre.com and http://movieszone.eu
Best regards